At Torcana, we have always believed in the simple principals of property investing:
- Purchasing in the best location your budget will allow
- Buying at the bottom rather than the top of the cycle
- Crunching the numbers accurately
- Understanding what due diligence is necessary and how to do it.
No matter how small or large your budget is, research is king when it comes to purchasing an asset. By spending time learning about how a market works, what kinds of buyers and renters live there, the resale strategies available, the realistic income that can be earned etc., you can enhance your profitability immensely.
We regularly publish reports covering these and other important issues. They are all completely free to download.
USA Property: Understanding the purchase & ownership process (8 pages)
As any successful investor will attest, property ownership is a serious business which requires attention to detail for the duration of your involvement with it.
This short report which explores three important areas that most sellers of US property tend to gloss over.
1. The purchase process for completed and pre-construction properties
(the role of title companies, the purpose of a HUD-2 statement, qualifying for finance, paying in stages)
2. Keeping on top of your running costs (insurance, HOA, property management)
3. Understanding your tax obligations (filing requirements, property tax, income tax, capital gains tax)
UK Student Property Investment (10 pages)
A must read for anybody considering an investment in the booming UK student accommodation sector.
- An introduction to the industry
- Recent changes in the UK student market
- The habits of international students
- The benefits of investing in the sector
- Typical purchase processes and FAQ
Avoiding the Top Ten Property Investment Mistakes (22 pages)
Due to the wide range of locations, property types and emotions involved, otherwise intelligent people have made the most expensive and stressful mistakes you can imagine.
Among other things, this report discusses:
- How to choose the best property instead of the best rental yield
- Mixing vacation properties with investment properties
- Choosing the right property manager
- Forgetting to file tax returns
- Planning an exit strategy
Florida Property Investment (19 pages)
A useful starting guide for people embarking on a Florida property search.
- Our top ten tips for purchasing discounted property in Florida
- Answers to the most popular questions investors put to us
- The tell tale signs you should be looking for in each location
- The most common mistakes and how to avoid them
- The important relationship between prices, rental income and inflation
- The questions you should be asking before signing on the dotted line
Florida Real Estate – A Brief History (10 pages)
Understanding the causes and durations of the major property cycles can be used to make informed, long term decisions regarding the real estate opportunities available today.
- The post war years and the Interstate Highway bill
- The vision of Walt Disney
- The recession of 1974 and Savings & Loan crisis of 1980s
- How the calm 1990s led to a huge bubble in the 2000s
- Understanding property cycles
Irish Real Estate (24 pages)
Property prices in Ireland have fallen further and faster than anywhere else in Europe.
This report provides a detailed background to the Irish boom, bust and recession and gives you the inside track on how to source and purchase prime real estate at prices last seen in the mid 1990s.
- Background and consequences of the economic boom and bust
- Steps taken towards recovery
- How the Irish property landscape has been transformed
- Description of all major players in the Irish property market
- The Irish rental market
- Amazing deals currently available
- Services and support offered by Torcana and our partners
We will be updating this page regularly as new reports are produced.